Thursday, June 30, 2011

American Gods


Title: American Gods

Author: Neil Gaiman

Publication date: 2001

Book's setting: Modern America

Random facts:
I've lovingly dubbed this book Percy Jackson: With Sex. Anyway.

Plot summary: Shadow is nearing the end of this three year sentence in prison. He is looking forward to getting back to his wife and normal life. When he gets the news that his wife died in a car accident days before his release, he no longer knows what to live for. On the plane back home Shadow meets the mysterious Wednesday who knows everything about him and employs him on the spot. Wednesday is a god, one of many still trying to lay claim in The New World. Some are succeeding better than others... and Wednesday is ready to fight a war for his survival.

Favorite aspects: The buffalo man! I'd be lying if I said that all the buffalo man didn't make me think of Living With the Land in Epcot. I loved all the weird bits in "hell" and like, the backlot of America. Neil Gaiman is really good with setting in his books. It's always so vivid and beautiful and spooky. Mostly spooky. American Gods was like a dream, bordering upon nightmare. Its strange structure and meandering plot and chapter-long asides gave it a dreamlike quality. It got really scary in parts too, which I love. Neil Gaiman is actually capable of scaring me, which is an epic feat! A big part of the book is how some places are just sacred. He did a great job making them feel sacred.

Least favorite aspects: I keenly felt the lack of the Greek gods. With the neoclassical movement in the 18oo's in the United States, I'd think that the gods would have a real sort of presence. Their images are everywhere in DC and New York City and Boston... I like how he used a lot of gods people often forget (the point, really) like Eoster and Wisakedjak and Bast and a Kobold, but the Greek and Roman deities were definitely very missing.

Other works it reminded me of: Percy Jackson by Rick Riodan (but with sex); Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.

Sadie's merciless break-down:
I've always wondered what about America appeals to Europeans. Neil Gaiman is British, but he is obsessed with America. He moved to America, he wrote a 600 page novel all about how fantastic and weird America is. (He also married Amanda Palmer, one of America's finest achievements.) I think that after reading American Gods I have a better understanding of what's so magical about the United States.
The USA has a distinct sort of fantasy canon and mythology. We forget that things like gas stations and convenience stores and barbecue are exclusive to our culture, and then Gaiman goes and makes them magical and strange. Everything about American Gods was otherworldly and strange, especially the common place things.
It's less like a novel and more like a project. Like a multi-media presentation, only without the multiple medias. In a way I think that Neil took on too much with American Gods, but not really because it was more exciting stuffed to the gills with themes and ideas and strange characters and motifs.
I read American Gods incredibly slowly, ten or fifteen pages at a time. I wanted to pay attention- I didn't want to skim, so I only read it when I was feeling really dedicated. I'm glad I just gave in and bought it. (Only 6.99 you guys!!)
So now I've managed to say a lot of words without really getting to my point. Here's my point:
~*~AMURICAH~*~

Recommendation rate: It didn't win the Hugo AND the freaking Nebula for nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment