Friday, March 25, 2011

Forge


Author: Laurie Halse Anderson

Publication date: 2010

Book's setting: 1777-1778

Random facts: Sequel to Chains.

Plot summary: It's been a year since Isabel and Curzon escaped captivity. But in the time that's elapsed Isabel stole all his money and left to find her sister. Curzon is broke and alone and forced to join the rebel army. Forge is the story of his winter in Valley Forge, his search for Isabel, and their reconciliation.

Favorite aspects:
Curzon's voice can be chilling. It is very simple and soft. I read some reviews for this book saying that Curzon was not as well developed as Isabel was in Chains, but I found him real, wonderful, and emotionally stimulating. I actually had a harder time liking Isabel. Maybe it's because I have a soft spot for little boys forced to kill strangers? Anderson does not have my favorite narration style (it's heavvvyyyy) but I was amazed at her ability to write Curzon so convincingly. She's a rich white lady from Upstate New York! How did she write a cold, hungry, little slave boy in 1777? (Black magic, I guess. Or research. But I hate research so I'm sticking with black magic.)

Least favorite aspects: Anderson is a wonderful author. She writes in unique voices, she writes beautifully, she writes interesting stories. But she is a bit too self-aware; she's aware that what she's writing is important. Forge is definitely mature, but I think Anderson is a little too interested in her effort to "educate children" about slavery and repression. It begins to show in her writing- a pride in her wonderful exploration of history. Her narration is heavy and bogs down her character's voice. Even smaller things like the glossary, appendix, and timeline in the back of the book made me feel like she (or possibly the publisher) was talking down to the me, anticipating me to be uneducated about her subject matter. I think anyone who picks this book up off the shelf already knows a substantial amount of American History.

Other works it reminded me of: Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson; Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes; Betsy and the Emperor by Staton Rabin.

Sadie's merciless break-down:
Historical fiction turns me on. It makes me feel closer to times past. It fills me with unconditional love for the universe. The Revolutionary War is one of my favorite time periods to read about. It's also one of my favorite time periods to watch. Like Liberty's Kids and Felicity: An American Girl Adventure, which, if you ask me, was robbed for the Oscar. (Is it the sexy boys with ponytails and waistcoats? Could it be? Probably yes.)
Anyway, my favorite aspect in historical fiction are the cameos made by historical figures. When General Grant or Lafayette or Benedict Arnold shows up I get all giddy and feel like shouting, "HEY! I KNOW YOU!" It's like you're getting caught up with your old friends. You want to give them tea and biscuits and pat their historical little heads and ask them how life in the army is treating them. (I'm dead serious.) So in this Forge was a success. It's one of those books where reading it was not sufficient. I want to force everyone I know to read it so I can express my great love for George Washington to them. My love for history gets bottled up sometimes and then I explode
and annoy my family to no end.

Recommendation rate: If you enjoy historical fiction then you really must read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment