Sunday, March 27, 2011

Housekeeping


Title: Housekeeping

Author: Marilynne Robinson

Publication date: 1980

Book's setting: Turn of the century to mid-century

Random facts: Nominated for the Pulitzer Prize.

Plot summary: "There is so little to remember of anyone - an anecdote, a conversation at a table. But every memory is turned over and over again, every word, however chance, written in the heart in the hope that memory will fulfill itself, and become flesh, and that the wanderers will find a way home, and the perished, whose lack we always feel, will step through the door finally and stroke our hair with dreaming habitual fondness not having meant to keep us waiting long."


Favorite aspects:
Being a sister, being half of a whole, being Lucille, this was one of the most gloriously horrifying books I've ever read. It was worse than I Capture the Castle or We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Ruthie and Lucille's relationship was so explicit even though it was actually shoved to the side in favor of stories about Sylvie and their grandmother. The chapters that chronicled Lucille growing up and leaving were more poignant than entire novels written about sisters. I think that Robinson is oven over-praised for her beautiful writing at the expense of her story telling. Obviously her word selections were unparalleled, but Housekeeping was grander than a collection of lovely words. It was had gorgeous core that explored what it means to 'keep house' and to hold a family together. I don't know if anyone has ever done that before. Another thing I loved was how Robinson is unashamed of her religion. An entire section near the end is dedicated to paralleling the story with Bible stories. It was a bit of a life-changing book for me.

Least favorite aspects: This book has skyrocketed into my top favorite books list. I couldn't even conceive of a flaw. Unless truth and realism and painful depictions of life are flaws.

Other works it reminded me of: Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor; Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff; The Neumiller Stories by Larry Woiwode.

Sadie's merciless breakdown:
I'm going to get heavy for a moment. Housekeeping was about two sisters growing up with a solemnly ignored bereavement. It was the twisted version of me and Kate and Daniel. Daniel's been following me lately. I've been seeing him in my friend's brothers. Or perhaps I'm not seeing him. Perhaps I'm feeling his absence. As I get older I've been more aware of art with bereavement themes. Inception for instance (But my feelings on Mal are another story entirely). I have never read a book that so openly explored suppressed sorrow like Housekeeping. The parallels between Lucille and me and Ruthie and Kate only made it odder. I just read it and I kept thinking- this book is for me, for her, it's about us, it has to be. I think a good definition of 'art' is when it expresses your emotions better than you could yourself. When art reminds you of who you are. Feeling so close to these character is strange considering it is obviously a dark and unhappy novel. I am not consumed by this strange sorrow all the time. It's hard to admit, but more often than not I forget Daniel. Yet Housekeeping was a peek into a part of me I often forget I have.
Robinson's books mainly explore the concept of home. Home as refuge, home as a prison, home as a place where you are required to love others, homes being desperately rebuilt after tragedy, homes being torn apart by tragedy. It's a very real concept and something that is largely ignored. At least it seems to be ignored in the literature I'm used to reading. Even if you've never lost a loved on or suffered mental illness I'm sure you've known someone who has been through these things. Maybe at the very least Housekeeping will help you understand people better.


Recommendation rate: In my humble opinion it is a must-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment