Sunday, April 17, 2011

Bloodshot


Title: Bloodshot

Author: Cherie Priest

Publication date: 2011

Book's setting: 2009/2010

Random facts: First novel in what will be a series.

Plot summary:
Raylene is a freelance thief and investigator. She's also a vampire. She manages to stay out of vampire politics, living alone and working mostly for humans, until a blind vampire shows up and asks for her help in locating the records of the government experiments that left him permanently handicapped. Within moments of accepting the job Raylene is being tailed by government agents. She knows she should just drop the case, but the government knows about vampires and knows how to hurt them, and she needs to know why.

Favorite aspects:
Bloodshot made me feel the world changing around me. The word "hipster" was in it. I'm not sure what to feel about that. There is so much internet. And thumb drives. And mixed coffee drinks. It was current and wonderful. Also, two words: GIRL. VAMPIRE. Raylene is hysterical and fresh and funny and not your classic mopey vampire at all. Actually, none of it was classically "vampire." Bloodshot reminded me of a reverse X-Files; it was from the point of view of the endangered mystical creature instead of the cops. I found it incredibly original.

Least favorite aspects: I wish we could have seen more of Ian. He means a lot to Raylene but we learn basically nothing about him, except that he's a vampire and he's blind and he's sad all the time. Also it was structured rather oddly. It was just very hard to predict. Actually, that's not really a problem... it just is.

Other works it reminded me of: Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman (sort of); Wolf Star Rise by Tanith Lee (sort of).

Sadie's merciless break-down:
I haven't been reading much lately. It's so lovely out I just want to spend every waking second under the sun. Besides, it's finale season which means that I'm basically eating and breathing spoilers. Not to mention the NYC world premiere of Doctor Who left me utterly useless for about a week. I'm still recovering. Arthur Darvill's face will do that to you. What better to ease me back into the swing of reading than a frigging awesome vampire mystery epic??
Really this was the least vampire novel imaginable. The only think that made it a vampire novel was the fact that the main character happened to be a vampire. It was more of a PI vs. CIA thriller novel full of gun fights and fun twists. If you get turned off my the idea of a vampire novel simply because they all look like teenage trash, give Bloodshot another chance. There wasn't any sexy symbolization or dark vampire guilt or innocent girls being hoodwinked. Raylene just was. Actually, Priest didn't even feel the need to explain her vampire's mythology. They just were. It was awesome. Did I say that already? It was. It was fast and crazy and really fun. Sometimes it's nice to read something ridiculous and fun. (Who am I kidding? I always read ridiculous and fun books.) I was kind of embarrassed that I was reading another vampire/fantasy/YAish novel but now I decided I shouldn't feel any shame. It was a totally trip and Wuthering Heights (review to follow) was getting dull. No shame, peace out.


Recommendation rate: If you like vampires and awesome exciting books than read it- it was awesome. There was a liberal amount of ~bad language in it. You have been warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment