Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Time of the Ghost


Title: The Time of the Ghost

Author: Diana Wynne Jones

Publication date: 1981

Book's setting: England, 20th century

Random facts: This novel is dedicated to Diana's sister, Isobel.

Plot summary: She's a ghost. She has no idea who she is or what happened to her. All she knows is that there has been an accident. She is led to fours sisters who live at a boarding school, neglected by their overworked parents, both of whom teach at the school
. The ghost recognizes the girls and realize that they are her sisters... only she has no idea which one of them she is, or how to communicate her urgent message to them. You see, Char, Imo, Sally, and Fenella accidentally stumbled upon an ancient power, Monigan, and Monigan demands a life. The ghost has to identify herself and save her sister before it's too late and one of them is lost forever. A story filled with seances, sacrifices, and attempted exorcisms, The Time of the Ghosts is a chilling and unique fantasy.

Favorite aspects: Too many favorite things so I will number them. 1. It was a sister story, and I am forever a sucker for those. 2. I love black magic and ancient powers and sacrifices and evil dolls. 3. The theme of identity and being ostracized from yourself because you take on so many of your sister's traits was incredibly real. 4. I like how cruel Diana was to Julian. He was bad and there was no justification, no explanation. He just was. 5. The time travel was incredibly well executed. 6. It reminded me of one of my favorite X-Files episodes ever, Audrey Pauley. 7. I love boarding schools a lot. 8. Canada. 9. It was meandering and dream-like and the style really reflected the ghost's mental state. 10. The scene where they hang Imo and the scene where Sally and Julian are calling up Monigan were terrifying and theatrical and JUST SO BEAUTIFULLLLLL.

Least favorite aspects: Diana is never explicit with her romances. You have to hunt for them and pick up on subtext. (Howl and Sophie are truly an exception.) Even though I knew that The Time of the Ghosts wouldn't have any real romance I was a bit thrown-off by Will Howard. Sally and Ned were adorable and hinted at really sweetly... but I was expecting Howard to end up with Imo or Char. I was not expecting Canada. Eh, whatever. I'll ship him with myself.

Other works it reminded me of: Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones; We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson; I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith.

Sadie's merciless break-down: Diana Wynne Jones... you've done it again. This was actually one of her more straight-forward books, but that doesn't mean it was boring. I think she is incapable of writing a boring book. The Time of the Ghost wasn't just a really great sister book, but it was also an incredible girl power book. Heroines in fantasy, real heroines who save the day all by themselves, are few are far between, but Diana has graced us with a multitude of them. Sally and her sisters are just some of the great ladies/girls that she's fashioned. Charmain, Sophie Pendragon, Polly, Vierran, Vivian Smith... Her characters are true heroines because they are independent and brave and real. Her romances are especially interesting when you compare them to the bulk of fantasy literature. You don't have to look much father than Sophie and Howl to see that. I'm not very good at explaining characters... so I guess I'll leave it at that. But if you ever get tired of dull and perfect fantasy heroines just succumb to Diana Wynne Jones.


Recommendation rate: If you like pagan magic and sacrifices and evil spirits then this is a musssst read.

No comments:

Post a Comment