Thursday, April 7, 2011

Fables: Animal Farm


Title: Fables: Animal Farm

Author: Bill Willingham

Publication date: 2002

Book's setting: Alternate modern New York City

Random facts: Sequel to Fables: Legends in Exile.

Plot summary:
Snow decides that she and Red need some solitary time to patch up their broken relationship, so she and her sister take a sabbatical of sorts on The Farm. The Farm is the upstate NY compound where the less human fairytale characters have been exiled in order to keep their existence a secret. However Snow and Rose find themselves entangled in a political war on The Farm. The creatures have been kept in isolation for hundreds of years... and they're ready for freedom. Of course, their escape could endanger the lives of every fable character in our world.

Favorite aspects:
It was just similar enough to the Animal Farm by George Orwell to be amusing, but not so much like it that I was bored. The fact that it literally took place on a farm for the animalistic fables creatures only made it funnier. I was surprised how well-rounded the animal characters were, especially the pigs. It was a bit hard to distinguish them at first, but they actually each had their own personality and had subtle appearance differences. Also Red Rose was hilarious. As the "sexy badass" character I was a bit worried about liking her, but she had a great sense of humor.

Least favorite aspects: The art was sublime, but some page spreads were really hard to follow. I think of myself as being pretty good at reading comics, at least I've never had a problem before, but Animal Farm was so artistic it lead to distraction.

Other works it reminded me of:
Rapunzel's Revenge and Calamity Jack by Shannon, Dean, and Nathan Hale; Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.

Sadie's merciless breakdown: Mostly I am just sad now because my library doesn't have anything past this volume... nice. Way to go BPL. Way to go. (I know, I should be counting my blessings that I don't live in Hicktown, Unpopulated State, USA. Still.)
I really enjoy reading graphic novels. The more I read the more I appreciate the art form. It's different, it's an entire different media than a book or even a picture book. It's an art form that my brain loves to glut on. It's interactive and gorgeous and incredibly lush. They are fun to read undisturbed; just let your eyes run over the pages and glean the information at the pace of television. Then go back and take your time inspecting each panel with diligent care. Notice the little things. The only comics series I own is Scott Pilgrim, but they are probably the most fun I can possibly have reading. If I want an ~experience, something tactile and exciting, I pick one up for the thousandth time. Basically, I think that the art of the graphic novel is under-appreciated. Of course geeks/nerds adore them, but as mainstream as we've become it's still very common to get grief for being a "comics reader." The Fables series is dense and dark and very majestic. I look forward to reading the next volumes at Barnes and Nobles, huddled in the sci-fi corner, sitting on my coat. It's the best way to read them anyway. (Until a sales associate stares you down and forces you to buy a coffee you don't want.)

Recommendation rate: Same advice as before. Good comics, especially if you find superheros boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment