Monday, May 23, 2011

Good Omens


Title: Good Omens, The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Author: Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Publication date: 1990

Book's setting: Present Day (ish)

Random facts: I bought Good Omens on the day that the rapture was supposedly going to happen. Looking back that is ironic.

Plot summary: I have never had such a hard time articulating a review before. It's all sentence fragments and exclamation points. But I'm trying, I really am. Here we go? Crowley is a demon and Azirphale is an angel. They have been left on earth to prepare for the Apocalypse and in the meantime have become friends and rather fond of humanity. Adam is the Antichrist, a young boy destined to be the destroyer of earth.
Anathema is the descendant of Agnes Nutter, a medieval witch who wrote a book of prophecies on the end of the world. Newt is the descendant of the witch hunter who burned Agnes. Death, Famine, War, and Pollution are the four Horsemen who are preparing the world for destruction. Good Omens is the story of the end of the world, and how all the above characters manage to bring about (or attempt to resist) the Apocalypse.

Favorite aspects: The pacing and the scene changes were cinematic and hilarious and wonderfully planned. The climax of the book was so fast-paced and insane that it stopped feeling like reading and felt more like inhaling. Basically I liked everything about this book. I liked Newt and Anathema's predicted, plotted, totally unromantic relationship. I adored Crowley and Aziraphale, whose bromances negates all other bromances in the history of literature. I laughed out loud at the secondary motorcycle gang from Hell. (Most of the time I couldn't tell, but that bit had "Gaiman was here" all over it.) I liked all the crazy pop culture references that no one will understand in 200 years. I loved how it was brimming with HISTORY. I appreciated how sometimes I almost started taking it seriously, and then had to pull back and remember I was only reading. I guess most of all, I liked how it wasn't anything like reading a book. It was a multi-media cultural event. Or something.

Least favorite aspects: Where is the sequel? Can there at least be an appendix? Or a collection of short stories? Come on guys!

Other works it reminded me of: Love in the Ruins by Walker Percy; Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams; but also a little bit of everything?

Sadie's merciless breakdown: I read the first 50 pages of Good Omens very carefully in bed the night I bought it.
(I went out of my way to buy it. I'd never read it before and I don't do that often, but I wanted to read it and the library didn't have it so I called up Barnes and Nobles and they put a copy aside for me and I bought it. $18 for a paperback. Shame.) Then I realized I was about 1/7 done with the funniest book I'd ever read, so I stopped.
I read the next substantial part while sitting in Coraddo on 70th street after a Lady Gaga concert. I shouldn't be allowed to read in public. There was a gay couple and their friend sitting at the table with me (it was crowded) and whenever I hit a really smashing sentence I was tempted to tell them about it. I didn't of course. I kept reading on the subway. All the way from 70th to the Junction. Then I had to stop because I had to go to work.
I got home from work at 6:30pm. Instead of reading more I watched tv with my sick sister. I woke up the next day with the flu. The next five days were spent too delirious to read. I finished the book on a Wednesday. It was 86 degrees out and felt like it could very well be the end of the world. I sat outside of my apartment building and decided it probably was. (Remember, I still have the flu.)
When I finally finished it I decided it was probably one of the best things I'd ever read. Still think so.
In light of Good Omens I could never write anything witty about it. Every possible witty thing was put into the novel. So instead I gave you my pathetic reading experience. (Well, going to a Lady Gaga concert is far from pathetic. However Coraddo's overpriced coffee is.)

Recommendation rate: Just read it. Even if you have to spend $18 on a paperback and $4.50 on the subway fare to get you to the bookstore.

1 comment:

  1. I started this once, but ended up returning it to the library before I finished. Sigh. I need to get my lil' paws on it soon.

    Reading Gaiman while sick is freaky...I read his "Anansi Boys" in one day, lying in my mom's bed and dying of the flu. I was super-delirious and totes believed it was real at some points, haha.

    ReplyDelete