Sunday, May 1, 2011

Siste Viator


Title: Siste Viator

Author: Sarah Manguso

Publication date: 2006

Book's setting: Written through the 90's and early 00's.

Random facts: Siste Viator means "stop traveler."

Plot summary: A volume of poetry, therefore plotless.

Favorite aspects: I don't usually read poetry. I find it often too abstract and I have a hard time grasping the bigger picture within the fragmented lines of fragmented phrases. But Manguso's poems were full of stories and vibrancy and relatable emotion. They weren't distant or abstract at all. I guess what made it even better is that I knew about Manguso's like prior to reading her poetry. Her memoir (reviewed a few months ago) gave me the basis to really appreciate the struggles she portrayed in her poetry. Of course they would have been beautiful regardless, but her thoughts and feelings were familiar, because I already knew her.

Least favorite aspects: I guess nothing? I should read more poetry.

Other works it reminded me of: The Two Kinds of Decay by Sarah Manguso.

Sadie's merciless break-down:
So I don't usually read poems. Kate sometimes throws one in my face and tells me to read it, and of course I read countless anthologies as a kid... but I'm not usually a poetry person. But this volume was completely magical and heart-breaking and inspirational because Manguso's like was all those things. Instead of ranting a rant and using meaningless large words to try and portray the beauty, here is a sample of her poetry from Siste Viator.

There is No Such Thing as Skill
There is only facility and retribution
The day I woke up giggling was the day I gave up controlling my perversion.
That was one bad dream.
Why is the heart broken, and not squashed, or flattened, or wrung out?
Would you wring out an icicle?
I give up writing about twice a day, just to keep things fresh.
I write myself a citation every time I break the rule and start writing again.
Sometimes I write a citation just so I can write a citation.


Recommendation rate: If this volume of poetry was a movie it would be rated R. Even so I think you need to get your hands on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment