Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Redeeming Love


Title: Redeeming Love
Author: Francine Rivers
Publication date: 1991
Book's setting: 1850
Random facts: One of my best friends recommended it to me and I have this policy in which I must read every single book my friends love.
Plot summary: Redeeming Love is a vibrant interpretation of the Book of Hosea. Set in the 1850's the novel follows the life of Angel, a bastard child sold into prostitution after her mother's dead. When California farmer Micheal Hosea feels led by the Holy Spirit to marry Angel and save her from a life of prostitution, she doesn't come willingly. Redeeming Love is a novel about sacrificial love, salvation, and following God, no matter what he asks of you. Although Angel's journey toward salvation is the core of the novel, a host of compelling minor characters weave their way in and out of the story, impacting Angel's life in unexpected ways.
Favorite aspects:
The first thing I liked (which is sort of small) was how well-researched it was. Sometimes books like this are thrown together and don't feel truthful, but Rivers obviously poured a lot of time into it, and it showed. I really love the time period it was set in and Rivers captured it in all its vibrant glory. Something about the prairie. I love it. The second thing I liked (much bigger) was Angel. She was one of the most developed characters I've read in a long time. She was spectacularly plotted and really well developed and not one point in her story line seemed false. She must have been incredibly hard to write but I was drawn to her and sympathized with her throughout the entire novel. It's not often that I meet someone like her in a novel. I'm not going to forget her.
Least favorite aspects:
The more I read the more sensitive I become to writing. Obviously not everyone can be Marilynne Robinson- I get that. But this book was too good for it's writing. I'm not going so far as to say Rivers is a "bad" author, but I don't think her skill matched the task at hand. Redeeming Love had no literary beauty or style. It was just a plot being conveyed sensibly. It lacked the flavor and emotional high that moving literature has. Usually I'm not picky about writing if the plot is strong... but religious fiction demands more grace in the writing.
Other works it reminded me of: Not My Will by Francena Arnold; Rodzina by Karen Cushman.
Sadie's merciless break-down:
Needless to say, this was a strange follow-up to Atonement. I am a Christian. Basically what that means is that I see grace, redemption, atonement, and unconditional love everywhere. I see it in Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean of all places! I can find grace in anything. If you're not religious and you don't see it it's simply because you don't know where to look.
Okay. So. I think that Redeeming Love was heavy-handed. They say show don't tell, right? Number one rule of writing. Rivers broke it. I'm not sure what tipped the scale but the heavy narration bogged down the spiritual awakening. I feel awful saying this. It was a good novel, all things considered. The story arch was consistent and the characters were round and the themes were important. It was good enough that I finished it... but something was missing. Or rather something was over-exposed until it stopped feeling precious. Does this make sense? Am I being way too hard? Should I have waited longer in order to digest McEwan's delicate prose before plunged into Redeeming Love? I don't know. It just didn't move me like I thought it would.
ON A COMPLETELY UNRELATED NOTE. I almost wrote this book a couple of times. (Without the sex and the religion.) It was going to be called Apple of the Prairie. It was going to be awesome. I never got further than the first chapter. I am seriously considering revisiting that idea.


Recommendation rate: If you really like Christian lit then give it a go, you may love it. If you're not one for religious fiction then just pass on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment