Friday, February 25, 2011

Boneshaker


Title:
Boneshaker

Author: Cherie Priest

Publication date: 2009

Book's setting: Mid 1800's

Random facts: It was nominated for the 2010 Hugo Award.

Plot summary: Set in pre-Civil War in Seattle, Boneshaker takes history and warps it into something new and exciting. Boneshaker combines the dying pioneer spirit with the tragic Industrial Revolution, adds zombies and classic Steampunk machinery, drags in Chinese gold rush immigrants and a Native American princess, and sticks them all in a contaminated city filled with diseased air that kills. Anything else I say is sort of a spoiler so I'll stop there. But zombies! You can't say no to zombies!!

Favorite aspects: This book is rotting. Every character and every visual that Priest offers us is putrid and decaying. It's the most beautiful thing. Her world is complete and disgusting and strangely appealing. Her characters are strong and emotional, especially Briar, the main character. She's a strong female is the most literal sense of the word. She's a widow, a mother, and an out-cast. And she's a total badass.

Least favorite aspects: It was not very romantic. I am not necessarily the sort of person who needs romance in all of her books, but in a way Steampunk is a very romantic genre. Boneshaker did not feel as if it lacked romance, but if you decide to read it don't except any. Also (and this is a small thing) during one of the zombie chases, I found the narration rather stilted. I think that it could have used a little edit. The action was awkward and hard to follow.

Other works it reminded me of: The Shadow in the North by Philip Pullman; The Diamond of Darkhold by Jeanne DuPrau.

Sadie's merciless break-down:
I love to multi-task. Most of the books I've read this year I read while watching hockey. I don't have time to read and cheer on the Rangers, so I find myself doing both at the same time. It works really well. That's not relevant to the quality of Boneshaker, but I thought that it was worth noting.
Anyway, Boneshaker had that amazing epic feeling that only good sci-fi can have. It completely enveloped me in another world. It was well formed and well executed. I find that a lot of times I don't really "get" the world that an author is trying to sell me on. Sometimes it's hard to envision what they've built; it's hard to get myself engaged in it. Boneshaker had none of these problems. This aspect of reading is obviously incredibly subjective. I'm not sure if it's because Priest is a good author or if it's because I like Steampunk or if it's because the stars were aligned in my favor. It's probably more me than the book. Diana Wynne Jones, for example, is a master at crafting worlds, but sometimes I just don't "feel" it. It's not her fault, it's mine. With Boneshaker, Priest's vision and my imagination met in the middle. It was like watching a really amazing big-budget movie. It was visual and spectacular and tense and emotional. The fact that I was so enveloped in a book while watching hockey is pretty amazing. The sci-fi-fantasy-cross-over genre is so radical. An author has so many liberties and options and they can just run with a vision. It was a beautiful book. I can still see the world Priest offered up when I close my eyes, and I think that's a sign of something great.

Recommendation rate: If you've ever liked science fiction-fantasy than this is a Must Read Book.

No comments:

Post a Comment