Thursday, August 18, 2011

Keturah and Lord Death


Title: Keturah and Lord Death

Author: Martine Leavitt

Publication date: 2006

Book's setting: Late medieval, somewhere.

Random facts: So I am rather behind on reviews. I'm still reading, I just haven't had time to review. Summer, whatchagonnado?

Plot summary: Keturah is a peasant girl, raised by loving grandparents in a small village. She sees her grandparents as a shining example of true love, and is dedicated to finding a True Love for herself. Her quiet life is disturbed the day she follows the legendary hart deep into the forest finds herself lost. After days of wandering aimlessly she knows that she is about to die, and Death comes. Except Death is a handsome Lord who she feels pity for. Desperate to live, Keturah challenges Death. She uses her storytelling skills to make him grant her a reprieve for one day. She tells a story of a love so pure that even Death cannot destroy her chances. He allows her to live another day on the condition that she come to him with an ending to the story and her true love. Can she find love in such a short time, and help her friends find their own? Can she continue to challenge Death when the plague reaches her beloved village?

Favorite aspects:
This might sound dorky, but the message was really beautiful. I also really loved all the villagers. Leavitt creates such a real little world! In that way it reminded me of Shannon Hale's books, but I think that Leavitt's story was much more delicate and metaphorical and downright artistic than Hale's teenager fantasies.

Least favorite aspects:
I found the incredibly old fashioned narrative to be rather hard to sink into... I don't know why. It's not like I am not accustom to reading older book, even incredibly old books. Actually my inability to really sink into the words worried me, because the novel I am working on has a very similar style, and now I am rethinking the entire style.

Other works it reminded me of: The Princess Academy by Shannon Hale; Tales of Beedle the Bard by JK Rowling; Beauty by Robin McKinley; Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier.

Sadie's merciless break-down:
Truth timez! I didn't really enjoy this book much, mainly because I was not properly focused while reading it. It was beautiful, the story was gorgeous. The very concept makes my heart flutter. But I sort of just read the words dutifully.
I read it soon after arriving home from Germany, with a pile of seven books waiting for me. I had to get back to work, I had a couple of very overwhelming personal things to deal with. It was just the wrong time to read it. Keturah and Lord Death is exquisite. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. I'm looking forward to reading it again in a few months, or even years, and being able to give it the respect it deserves.

Recommendation rate: If you like fantasies and all that, then you've gotta try it. Sadly it is out of print already, but check the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment