Monday, August 1, 2011

Ronia the Robber’s Daughter


Title: Ronia the Robber’s Daughter

Author: Astrid Lindgren

Publication date:
1981

Book's setting: Medieval timesish

Random facts: It was turned into a film in Sweden, one that did incredibly well. And then it was turned into a stage play in Germany.

Plot summary:
Ronia is the only daughter of Mattis, the chief of a band of thieves in the forest. Ronia grows up as the only child in a world of men until she meets Birk, the only son of Mattis' rival. The two bands of thieves have fought for years, but become forced to unite for their children's sake.

Favorite aspects:
Childhood romances are my kryptonite!! Okay, so it was more like a friendship, but you know what I mean. Cute little playmate stories are my kryptonite. It was just a charming story. It's really short... I read it in an afternoon... but it's still worth reading if you like children's literature. It's by Lindgren, so you know it's hysterical as well as charming.

Least favorite aspects: It's funny, I think I am just a bit old for this book... Or rather, I enjoyed it because I knew I'd have loved it as a child. It's a book I'd love to give a little girl, more than actually read again for my own personal pleasure.

Other works it reminded me of: The Minstrel in the Tower by Gloria Skurzynski.

Sadie's merciless breakdown:
I have a long list of book I want to give a little girl one day. Not even my own daughter necessarily, but any little girl. I want to give her Ransom for a Knight and The Minstrel in the Tower and The Maude Reed Tale... and I want to give her Ronia the Robber's Daughter. I'm sure eventually one of my sisters or friends will have a daughter... and when that happens I have a large stack waiting for her.

Recommendation rate: Buy it as a present for your niece.

No comments:

Post a Comment