Monday, August 1, 2011

No One Belongs Here More Than You


Title:
No One Belongs Here More Than You

Author: Miranda July

Publication date: 2007

Book's setting: Modern

Random facts:
200+ pages and I read it in a day, forsaking all else.

Plot summary: A collection of short stories written in that compelling and emotional voice that is ~modern~ literature. The stories are just little pictures of life- different lives and different heart break. Some of them are very odd, bordering upon metaphysical I'd almost say. Except it's not really the story itself that is otherworldly, it's just the way it's told.

Favorite aspects: All the emotions were sincear and they all felt so close to home... I even identified with the ones that I really had no reason to. I felt the character's pain in a way that is very rare, especially in short stories when none of the characters are actually fully developed.
I have an easier time reviewing the books I didn't love. I loved this. I loved it. I think my favorite stories were The Swim Team, This Person, and How to Tell Stories to Children. The last one broke my heart in the most epic way of all time.

Least favorite aspects:
I don't think I can think of anything... Sorry.

Other works it reminded me of: The Complete Short Stories of Evelyn Waugh by Evelyn Waugh; The Two Kinds of Decay by Sarah Manguso.

Sadie's merciless break-down:
I'm in an incredibly vulnerable place in my life right now, so prehaps it isn't any wonder I cried. Even so, I don't cry often.
So there is this style of writing. It's called "modern." And I've realized I love it. I'm cautious with it because it can be easily abused, or at least I think it can be. I don't think it possible that all "modern" writing could possible be as meaningful as No One Belongs Here More Than You. It's like poetry in proses form. It has a new set of rules and it's rhythmic. I'm a bit afraid of modern literature because I think it's more emotionally powerful than older styles of writing. It can grab you and haunt you so easily. I think that's because emotion is the point of modern literature. Not theme or morals or social commentary- the point is conveying emotion and making the reader feel it too. So in that sence it's a bit frightening, but it can also be compelling and eye-opening and really, really exquisite.
Note: Because I don't know who reads this blog or what their personal standards are I just feel the need to note that this book has sex and cursing in it. You have been warned.

Recommendation rate: It's a pity you can't force someone to read because you should all be forced to read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment